Select Page

I woke up today full of energy and ready to attack the day.

Scratch that. It’s a lie.

I went to bed last night HOPING to wake up full of energy. It didn’t really turn out that way. Last night we stayed home to watch Justified and the new HBO drama True Detective. On Monday, I watched Man of Steel while Val and the 2 cats slept. It was a major disappointment. It didn’t come close to the Batman movies. I can’t beleive that Time Warner spent 225 million to make that. The Superman cartoons are better. I don’t really know why I bother watching movies any more. TV drama’s are so much better nowadays.

Anyway, when the end of 2013 rolled around, I made the decision, (the same decision that I make every year), to re-dedicate myself to being more active and getting to the gym more. I’ve never really stopped going to the gym, but I’ve been cutting more and more corners over the years. It’s to the point where I just go to the gym, say hello to a few people, stretch for 20 minutes, loiter for 20 minutes, then go home and post on facebook that I went to the gym. I decided that 2014 was going to be different. I got a discount through my work insurance plan, so I changed gyms to shake up my routine a little. It’s closer to my home than my old gym, so I thought maybe that would help. It hasn’t.

On my first day there, I hurt my shoulder, so I haven’t been able to lift anything heavier than a fork for the last few weeks. As a result, I decided to concentrate more on calisthenics and stretching and cardiovascular exercises. Sounded like a good plan. The other day I was doing some jumping jacks to get the blood flowing, and I got a shooting pain through my right calf. It felt like I got stabbed in the back of the leg.

I limped out of there, defeated.

The next day I got home from work and I realized that I had a letter to mail. Being the lazy slob that I am, I didn’t want to take the 30 seconds needed to tie my shoelaces, so I slipped on a pair of loafers and headed up the street. Well, it was a little bit icy and I was limping a little bit and the next thing I knew, I was in the air, parallel to the ground and headed back towards earth. Somehow I landed on my hip, elbow, lower leg and both wrists at the same time. The pain and the shock didn’t last too long, and the embarrassment faded when I realized that no one was around to see my fall, I picked myself up and headed back home, knowing full well that I was going to pay dearly for my laziness the next day. I did.

I almost wish you could have seen me when I woke up the next morning. On my trip to the bathroom, I looked like that Tim Conway character from the Carol Burnett show. I didn’t walk to the bathroom, I shuffled.

Today wasn’t as bad, but it still was comical. I’m slowly breaking down at 48. I can’t imagine how middle-aged NFL players feel on a cold morning. I’m almost glad that I had no athletic talent growing up. I did manage to make it to the gym today. I approached each exercise gingerly, and manged to make it through the workout without any new injuries.

The day started with a serenade of foghorns as the city was enveloped with a thick fog. It eventually lifted, or burned off, but it didn’t really matter. It was a beauty of a day nonetheless. It was spring in New York for a day. Even though there is another cold front headed this way, today was a one day reprieve. I had to head into the city for my weekly allergy shots and I was amazed to see actual smiles on the faces of my fellow New Yorkers. It was great.

After I was done, I took my time heading home, soaking up some much needed vitamin D from the sun, and siphoning off some of the creative energy that only NYC can provide. I was happy to be in the city and confident that I would be writing a blog, even if nothing amazing happened along the way. When I got to the subway platform, I heard a familiar voice. Mariko is a young girl that I heard playing guitar in the subway during the summer on a 100 degree day. I thought she was amazing then, and she sounded just as good today. The train took a while to get there, so I was treated to three of her songs right there in the intimacy of the Union Square Station. She had a CD for sale, so I bought one. I can’t really expect people to support me, if I’m not willing to support the next artist, can I? The CD is pretty good, but somehow it doesn’t capture the passion in her voice that I heard in the subway; recordings are funny like that. Anyway, I encourage you to look her up and check it out.

The day ended the same way it started, with the night enveloped in fog and the horns of the harbor serenading me as I went to sleep. It was a good day. No home runs, but no strike outs either. Just a false spring day in New York City.